Sunday, January 25, 2009

Communications

Communication skills are an asset that never loses its value, be it in the past, present or future. This is especially true in recent times, with the advent of globalization and our Earth being a global village. The need to interact effectively with people of different cultures and values are what makes communication skills essential.

On a personal level, communications skills are important to me for various reasons, one being that I will be graduating this semester and entering the working world. From applying for a job, to attending an interview, and to having a good relationship with my superiors and colleagues, good communications skills such as job search, verbal and interpersonal communication skills are very much needed. I feel that having good academic qualifications does not give you an edge over your colleagues as it is very common these days to possess high academic qualifications. Being empowered with communication skills could be the crucial factor that can differentiate me from the rest and help me progress in my career.

Good communications skills aid me in communicating effectively with others. By developing active listening, communication will be smoother as misunderstandings are unlikely to happen. This is applicable to anyone in my life. Knowing how to recognize and handle communication barriers and understanding non-verbal communications cues will be exceptionally helpful when I have to interact with people from different countries.

One cannot acquire communication skills just by reading from a book. It is gained through learning from your own and others’ experience and constant practicing. Through interaction with my teacher and my classmates, I hope to improve on my communication skills by the end of the course.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very good post, Shu Juan. It's clear and concise, and you hit the proverbial nail on the head when you suggest that academic qualifications are no longer enough: "Being empowered with communication skills could be the crucial factor that can differentiate me from the rest and help me progress in my career." How right you are!

    You've got a well developed presentation of ideas here! Good communication!

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shu Juan!

    I feel that ur post is very clear and you have developed your ideas very well.

    You mentioned in your post that effective communication is essential when interacting with people of different cultures and values. I totally agree with your point. As people have different values and priority, they may have different perspectives on the same issue. Thus, in order to prevent misunderstanding, it is even more important to understand non-verbal gestures and convey our message clearly to others. This is much applicable to the case of Singapore as we live in a multi-racial environment.

    Next, you also mentioned that these skills are gained through practice. Hence, hope we can all improve our skills together at the end of the course. Looking forward to more fun and interesting discussions with you and the rest of the class!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Shu Juan, I like your post a lot, it summarises what most of us want to achieve through learning how to communicate effectively. That is having an edge in our future work place and minimise misunderstandings, all with the help of effective communication.

    Like what i said in my post, being able to communicate effectively, give ones an advantage in work, especially when dealing with clients or your superiors. Moreover, you do not need to be a genius or have tons of experience to be good at what you do or successful. The key to to it all includes being able to communicate effectively.

    Lastly, I have to agree with you fully that the skill of effective communication can only be attained through practice, practice and more practice. If it is attainable through a book, there would not be anymore misunderstandings and nearly everyone can be successful. Apparently it is not the case in our world today. So lets all work together to improve on our communication skills!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shu Juan =)

    I think your post is straight to the point and clear, which is how communication should be.

    I can relate a lot to this post especially this "From applying for a job, to attending an interview, and to having a good relationship with my superiors and colleagues, good communications skills such as job search, verbal and interpersonal communication skills are very much needed". I feel that if one can be a good communicator, half of the battle is already won. Besides leaving a good first impression on the interviewer, a good communicator will appear to be more confident and therefore more likely to be recruited.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi guys!

    thanks for reading this very first blog post and providing me with your own opinions and thoughts! Your take on my writing is always very invaluable as it helps me to improve! :)

    ReplyDelete