Sunday, February 1, 2009

Blog post #2: Interpersonal conflict scenario:

Hi Guys! Here's a scenario depicting interpersonal conflict:


I am currently working in a corporate bank in a team of five, in line with the launch of their latest project. I am generally on good terms with all my colleagues. Though our workload is very heavy, slogging together has created a bond within us and I can say that we make quite a strong team.

However, there is a guy (A) in my team, whom I do not really like. It seems as if he is always slacking in his work, passing his workload to others on the basis that his workload is too heavy compared to the rest of us. I do not know what my other colleagues think of him but whenever he does that, they will help him out without uttering a single complaint. Though unhappy, I have always kept my views and comments about him to myself, as I do not want to strain the cordial relationship that I have with him. Besides, taking any action may result in undesirable consequences for the team.

Recently, an incident occurred that resulted in a conflict between A and me. On one of the afternoons, our team was as per normal, busy dealing with the project till we discovered that A was nowhere to be found. We did not think much of it as we assumed that our supervisor or someone else had given him other tasks to do. Furthermore, with him gone, we were even busier,having to share his workload amongst us. Thus we did not try contacting him. A few hours later, A came back and we casually asked him where he had gone to. He told us that another department head had asked him to help out. With that, I did not think much of the incident and continued doing my work. What happened later was totally unexpected. Two girls from another department, whom I happen to know, came looking for him and when they asked me where he was seated, I asked them if it was an urgent matter and to my utter surprise,they said that they were here to return him money.

Eventually I found that that he had went out with the girls for tea as the girls were given some time off for that afternoon. Upon hearing it, I was infuriated!
Instead of completing what he was tasked upon to do, he had dumped the workload on us and took the girls out for tea. Now, I must admit that I am rather hot-tempered and at times, would let my feelings control my actions. Thus, when our supervisor happened to walk past and asked how we were doing, I spoke up without thinking and said that he had went to tea with 2 others from another department. I could still remember clearly that an awkward silence occurred for several seconds and then our supervisor curtly walked away without mentioning a single word.

I proceeded on with my work but A confronted me and asked me what that was for. I then told him that if he had the guts to do it, why not admit it? We then had a fierce argument and it only stopped when the rest of our colleagues intervened. Ever since then, tension has been very high between us and it has caused our team to be very awkward whether it is doing work or having lunch or doing any common activity.

I admit that I had told the supervisor what he did in a moment of anger. Believe it or not, I do regret doing that as this had caused much undesirable consequences. I should have controlled my temper and thought through carefully how I should handle the matter. However, his actions prior to this incident has already made me disliked him, and this was really the final straw for me. How could he enjoy himself while the rest of us are doing his work on top of ours?

Perhaps on his part, he felt that I was backstabbing him. He could be thinking that working together as a team has made all of us friends and even if he had left his workload for us to do to go off for tea, I should have covered up for him instead of reporting him. His perspective could be that if the situation happened to any one of us, he would have covered up for us and helped us.

Now that the situation is so tense, how should I proceed from here? We still have a few months to go to complete this project. Should I just leave it as is or try to do something to make things better? I look forward to your comments! :)

7 comments:

  1. Thanks, Shu Juan, for a compelling scenario. I won't comment on the conflict since your blogging partners need to give you feedback in that respect. I will just highlight the fact that there are a few language problems here, for example: "However, his actions prior to this incident has already make me disliked him...."

    In any case, I appreciate your effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shu Juan,

    Whether or not I have sounded off that siren, everyone would have been aware of his lack of presence or effort in sharing the workload. It would be to his disadvantage no matter what happens.
    (People will choose not to work with him the next time round)
    (People may reflect such unhappiness through peer appraisal and his bonus or position could be affected)

    From here, I would work on my relations with the other 3 members. This is because while I have pointed out his misdeeds, it could backfire on me if he chooses to build on the point that I sort of backstabbed him. He could use it to his advantage and I could well be ostracised by the group should he choose to do that. In other words, I find it has evolved into a little competition where the loser gets expelled.
    (I could imagine him saying, "I know what I did was wrong, but was it really necessary to tell on me the way she did? I don't know.. I thought we have been a great team. Maybe I should go talk to her and find out what she really has against me..")

    It could of course be a much simpler case, should office politics be a huge turn off to me. Something like a simple apology, explaining my actions, could make him step up his game and things may work out well between all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl,

    Personally, I would side with you. I have similar encounters too during my internship. But I didn't speak it out straight, I was worse than you. I did it the true backstabbing way. Haha! Oh well, back to your case...

    Do you think if both of you ignore each other for awhile it would be better? Could try to wait until the tension is lessened before any more conversation.

    A direct one-to-one conversation with him will be awkward. You can try to say light comments to him whenever you guys are in a team discussing or having lunch. After a few times of such lunches or discussions, perhaps you can try to talk to him one-to-one (but still within a group settng) while walking back to office. Then slowly, have a proper one-to-one talk with just the two of you somewhere else, just not within the compounds of the office. The setting and environment play quite an important role to set the mood right.

    If you know how to conduct yourself before the team, I don't think you will be ostracised as suggested by roarhaha. I think the one who will be ostracised will be A instead. I think through this incident, your colleagues may start to voice out/complain about the additional workload from A and/or even start to trust you more. They may think that you have stood up for them, and they should side with you. Haha! My guess.

    All the best in your project! Don't worry, its just a few months left. After that, you won't contact nor see A anymore, so perhaps it is a good idea to just ignore him. =P

    Gambatte!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Roy! Thanks for your feedback.

    You mentioned that 'everyone would have been aware of his lack of presence or effort in sharing the workload. It would be to his disadvantage no matter what happens.(People will choose not to work with him the next time round)(People may reflect such unhappiness through peer appraisal and his bonus or position could be affected)'.

    In the scenario, I left it very vague what the other team members thought of him. Perhaps they are unhappy with him and will reflect it through appraisal etc or maybe they really think that he has too much workload and do not mind helping him out. But in any case, I think your advice is reasonable. Working on my relationship with the others is always beneficial for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Grace! haha do tell me about what you did when this happens to you! It sounds interesting!

    I think your advice could work. I can try to talk to him in light comments first because if right from the start I talk as per normal to him,he will think ' She's such a hypocrite! Talking bad about me to our superior then now acting friendly with me!'. From there, if he is receptive to my casual light talk, I can then proceed on and try to improve on my relationship with him.

    Actually this is a hypothetical situation! It hasn't happened yet but thanks for the support in your last paragraph! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Brad for correcting on my language error! I have changed that mistake and will look out for other errors too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Shu Juan,

    I guess the way you can act now is just to do what you are supposed to do. Since you have already confronted him, I guess everyone knows what sort of character he is now. It is he who is gonna face the music once there is peer review. Just be as per normal and get the project done =D.

    Another way that I will proceed if I was in your shoe is to "outcast" him. Like you said this is a team project; if any individual of the so called team is irresponsible, I doubt any work can be done smoothly and efficiently. Rather than allowing him to have credit once the project is completed, I rather the rest of the team ignore him totally.

    Once he realises that something is wrong, then he may reflect upon himself and change for the better. Thereafter you guys can then accept him back. If he doesn't, I guess the team is better working with 4.

    CHEERS!=D

    ReplyDelete