Monday, March 16, 2009

my SMS style

Mobile phones have become a common gadget such that even primary school children have one of their own. I still remember my first primary six tuition kid a few years ago. I was shell-shocked when she requested to exchange mobile numbers! Considering that I was using a pager back in my primary school days and only had a mobile phone of my own at 17, I was surprised when she told me she possessed a mobile phone.

One of the most commonly used functions of a mobile is sending short text message, also known as sending an SMS or SMS-ing. Unlike writing and emailing where proper formal English is required, there are no standard rules or styles in typing an SMS. One may use proper English whilst another may add in a lot of icons together with their message. Basically, there are no hard, fast rules in typing an SMS. I, for one have my own way of writing an SMS. For those who I have SMS-ed before, I’m not sure if you noticed but I have a few habits when SMS-ing. Here it goes:

The use of ‘haha’

Looking through my sent messages in my phone, I realize I tend to use the word haha many times. Even though the message may not be very funny, I will still put in the word. A few such messages are ‘u reach alrd? Haha okie see ya there’ and ‘ haha im in town now so….’ There is no definite rule when I will add in that word but generally when my reply is one of a positive tone I will use a lot of haha. It’s my way of expressing that I am good and happy. However, if I am corresponding with someone formally, I would definitely omit out this word.

Using abbreviations

I tend to use abbreviations when I am SMS-ing. Actually, I guess this generally applies to almost everyone who uses SMS too. To me, a text message is very informal , therefore there is no need to type out in Standard English. In fact, if I SMS-ed my friends using Standard English, they would most probably think that I am angry and ask if I am fine. A list of SMS text abbreviations can be found here http://y2u.co.uk/Knowledge_Information/Technology/RN_Mobile_SMS_Texting_Slang.htm

Encompassing a smile icon in my SMS

There are two main reasons as to why I would put a smile icon in my SMS. Generally, when I am typing a SMS to someone for the first time, I would put a :) in the message as a friendly gesture. I did not used to do this until one day, a friend I had just gotten to know messaged me and she put the icon in her message. When I read her message, I could feel her friendliness and it just made me feel very warm. From then on, I picked up the practice.

The second reason I would put the icon is when I am being cheeky in my message. Some people would put :p as a sign for cheekiness but for my group of friends, we find it very weird to do that and instead we use :)

These are just some of the more common traits found in my SMS to others. How about you? Do you have a certain way of writing a SMS?

8 comments:

  1. Hey Shu Juan,

    Haha, I went through my outbox in the phone and found some traits of my own.

    I use "haha" when there's humor involved, and "haa" to sound polite. I got "haa" off my friend. I use ".." instead of commas, abbreviations all the time and smiles only when I feel its necessary or appropriate.

    Cool post! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Shu Juan,

    Your post reminded me of this post("Dear English... We miss you...") I read from a friend of mine's blog. I have already posted it some time ago. It's funny and you would enjoy it (I hope so atleast to some extent). However, the post is meant for people who go on to shrinking most of the words so that a complete essay can fit into an sms!

    Well I should admit I am one of those who put ":P". I believe I got used to it because of msn chat. Just to add to the list so is "haha".

    Going through my sent messages I realized I have the habit of adding "men" to the sentence even when its directed to only girls.Eg "What shall we do... men?"
    I believe, it is common among us Srilankans and it could be hazardous. Why?
    This is because it is as contagious as the "lah". A friend of mine has become influenced by this "men" to an extent that she uses it in her daily life even with non-srilankan friends. Such that her identity is even more complicated as she is an Indian girl,living in Singapore, who loves Japanese food more than Indian (as she grew up in Japan) and talks like a Sri Lankan. Ya "men" this is confusing!

    cheers,
    Priya

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an detailed and entertaining post on a fascinating topic. It's also relevant to me as I wrestle with my daughter Billie over her mobile phone use.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello Shujuan :D

    Very interesting and relevant topic indeed! Haha i realized that i also have th tendency to use "haha" to start my messages even though it's not a very funny issue i was discussing with my friends. I guess it's because we are not able to know the tone or facial expression of the person who we are sms-ing so i always like to use "haha" to make my tone more friendly.

    Also when am rushing i will just send out very short messages without punctuations :P Sometimes my friends will misunderstand that it's because am angry with them because it's different from my usual sms style. Haha i guess that's the problem with these form of communications ba, i still prefer just talking on the phone.

    Thanks for bring up this issue for discussion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shujuan,

    This is an interesting post and indeed relevant to everyone!!

    I realise I do have the same habit as you as almost all my SMS will include "haha" or "hehe" or "aha". I guess they all mean the same thing. I feel that by writing these few words, it will make my messages look more cheerful and happy. Sometimes when I felt that the person reading the messages might misunderstand my tone, i would always end with "haha" just to lighten the mood. While other times, it is just a habit of mine.

    Everyone has their own unique SMS-ing style and sometimes it does pose communication problems as people might misunderstood the meaning or the tone of the messages. This is especailly so as SMS is often not wriiten in standard english.

    Thanks for the interesting blog post. cheers:)

    HAHAHA!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WASSUP Shu Juan,

    haha ok i guess I shld not type dis comment in sms lang.

    Thanks for your post, I guess we do have our own style in our short message sent(sms). For me my reason for my style of sms is because of these few reasons:
    1. Laziness.
    2. writing in proper sentences makes the conversation too serious.
    3. writing properly takes too much time.
    4. we want to save on our phone bills, writing in proper sentences means more sms than have to be sent!

    I guess even for our normal day-to-day conversations, we also have our own style of speaking and body language. Like Singaporean guys tend to add vulgarities in their conversations with other guys. Even normal Singaporean be it girl or guy, like to put in some "lahs" and "lehs" within our conversation.
    So I guess it is not a just in sms, even our daily conversation with people have a style.

    Cheers! =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shu Juan,

    This is an interesting post as I think most of us did not think about our sms style because we think that is very common for us.

    I have checked my sms after reading your post and I have found some of the sms style of mine, haha!!!=p

    I like to use exclamation mark after the end of my sms with a =p icon. I do so because I do not want to make my sms to formal to my friends. Besides that, I will usually use "haha" as an ending to show cheerful and happy tone in my sms.

    In addition, I will use "2" to replace "to" and "4" to replace "for". I think this is a very common sms style as the word for a sms text is limited and people would like to use these replacement to save the word for sms.

    It is a very impressive post, thanks for sharing with us!!!=)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi everybody! Thanks for telling me on each of your different styles of SMS-ing!

    Roy: Yea I think when I received messages with 'haa' I feel like the sender is either being polite or that he/she does not how to end it so a 'haa' is being used

    Priya: I really love listening to you or reading what you write as it is always very funny , witty and enriching! Thanks for sharing this culture in your country. I do used that too just that i spell it as 'man' For example, ' i totally agree man'

    Brad: You wrestle with your daughter over the phone because she uses it too much? I think its really cool that she has a phone to use as I only had my own phone when I was in junior college. Previously, it was a pager! Haha

    Keldren: Haha I am guessing WASSUP is one of your sms language? Yes, besides SMS, everyone has their own style in talking and writing!

    Pooi San: High five! I think this style of ours is very common among people our age! I think :p definitely suits as it reflects the bubbly character you have!

    ReplyDelete