Sunday, March 22, 2009

My biodata :)

I am Teo Shu Juan, born in Singapore. When I was young, I took up lessons in swimming and the electric organ. These were lessons that I used to hate going to. However, the 21 year old me today is thankful that my parents made me go for these lessons as I think those are important skills to have.

In Zhonghua Primary School, I was a prefect. It was my first time experiencing what it is like having a responsibility to set a good example. I joined the Red Cross as an extra curriculum activity where I picked up some basic first-aid skills.

I then entered into Cedar Girls Secondary School. In class, I took on different roles such as Additional Mathematics representative. I learnt management skills as I had to not only ensure that work is handed up but also that while asking my classmates to hand in work, I do not put any strain to our friendship. I joined the symphonic band where I played the clarinet. I learnt the meaning of teamwork as co-ordination between every instrument was crucial. Many close friendships were gained as everyone went through much hardship and stood by each other while training for the Singapore Youth Festival Competition.

I went into Anderson Junior College where I joined the Outdoor Activities Club. I was the Assistant Quarter Mistress where I had to account for every item and make sure logistics are effectively utilized for every project. Through this role, I gained management skills. We organized many overseas expeditions and activities such as the MOE Scholars’ Orientation Project. During our overseas expeditions where it was very straining physically, everybody was there to support each other and through that we formed a bond that up to today still exists. By organizing various projects, I gained even more experience in teamwork and co-ordination.

During the break before entering into NUS, I had many part-time jobs. One of them was Ben & Jerry’s. When I joined, the outlet at Sentosa was newly opened, thus my friend and I were given the honor of being the pioneers under a supervisor. We could decide on matters pertaining to the shop such as the decoration of the shop. I think it was a really great experience ‘setting’ up your own shop.

I am currently in NUS, majoring in Applied Mathematics. As I was rather strong in Mathematics, I decided to pursue my studies in that area. However, as I took more business modules, I realized Mathematics as a career is not what I want. Thus, when I am applying for jobs now- I will be graduating this semester- the areas I am looking at are finance, human resource and even corporate communications. Without a degree in those areas, it may be rather hard to compete with those who have but I am going to give it a try. I aim to gain some working experience and apply for a Master in Business Administration in 2 years time.

9 comments:

  1. Hey Shujuan!

    I think your resume is different from the rest as you started in a chronological order from the past to present. I think that this stands out from the rest as it has also allowed anyone reading to identify how you've grown and progressed over the years. I believe that the skills you have learnt along the way seem to be being enhanced from each step you take. From leadership roles in school as a prefect and right up to as you were a scoopy in bnj. I believe that it's not an easy feat to handle a new outlet by yourself under just one supervisor. Despite the busy-ness of one outlet, it was still sustained by just 3 of you. And I believe it's also due to your hard work, initiative and also good working skills!

    Good job! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shu Juan,

    Reading your post really gave me a deeper understanding of my project mate, you=)

    As you gradually displayed the skills you have developed through the activites you participated in since primary school. It showed that you had the drive to become a all-rounded person. You had exposure in music, survival skills, exceled in your management skills and showed that you can work independently and as a team player.

    Although you may not have a degree in the areas you hope to pursue as your career, however I believe that with your passion and determination to excel, it will just be a matter of time when you reach your goal. Let's all work towards our goal, and hopefully in the future we can have high tea together, sip tea and enjoy our success.

    Carpe diem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Shu Juan,

    I didn't know you are so musically-inclined! Cool! There are many teamwork skills you've encountered I supposed, from playing in a band to leading OAC.

    Like what Hui Xia says, through this, I have learnt more about my project mate! You are a jack of all trades! And a master in Maths! Haha!

    All the best my friend! Let's look forward to throwing our graduation hats together! =P

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really a comprehensive autobiographical statement, Shu Juan. I find that it reads like a narrative rather than a piece of info for inclusion in a job file, which is okay. The purpose here has been broadened so that you can follow your own path, much as you have in your life!

    Thank you for sharing your interesting background with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Shu Juan,

    This post in general is detailed and comprehensive. It allows me to know more about your peronal growth and development through all your experiences in work and in school.

    Through reading your blog post, I feel that you are one who is willing to learn new skills and take up new challenges. With all you CCA experiences working hard in a team, I am sure that you will be a good dynamic team player, being able to interact well with your team member yet able to work independently too!

    Finally, it is great that you are determined to pursue your dreams. All the best in your world of business!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Shu Juan,

    I must say your post is very well organized. It shows how you have progressed as and developed as a person.

    From your biodata, I know that you are a good team player and I can depend on if we were given a team project.

    I guess you have enjoyed yourself as you acquired your skills in management, organization and coordination. I guess the best way to develop an individual's skill is to learn through fun. Glad you enjoyed it.

    I wish you good luck in everything you plan to do in the future and hope you can achieve the goals that you have set. =D

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    Thank you for this post as I can see your progression from one education institution to another and, the experiences you gained through out this progress.

    In the last paragraph you mention about securing a career in a different field compared to what you have been studying so far. It would have been much better to the reader if you can emphasize why you had this change of heart and certain skills such as a team player will help you in your career.

    As i mentioned earlier a clear piece of writing and I hope you do secure a job in your desired field!

    cheers,
    priya

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shu Juan,

    Thank you for sharing with us your biodata.

    I like the way you structure this post. You made it very clear and concise, illustrating your experiences and then elaborating on the skills that you have learnt.

    Sharing the same sentiments as Priya, I agree that it will really be better to explain why you have decided to choose a different path for your career. I presume that this will be a common question asked by the employers. Therefore, it is a question worth pondering on for a perfect answer! In addition, you may also want to add in more working experiences so as to prove to the employers that even without a degree in business, you can still handle the job!

    Go for it Shu Juan! All the best!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi everybody! Thanks for all your feedback!

    Jane: haha I guess the outlet at Sentosa is very small as compare to the rest of the outlets so actually it was quite easy to manage! Fun also because the crowd gets way big during the holidays and you can meet many people!

    Hui Xia: your post gave me a better understanding of you too! Yes my dear group project mate! We definitely should meet up a few years later to see how we have all progressed! By the way, what does 'Carpe diem!'mean?

    Grace: Well Grace, a Jack of all trades may mean a master in none. Haha I guess it is true. I set out to learn and try different things so that I have a little experience in many areas but perhaps it is time to see what I really like and then go on pursuing it in future! Yes, lets all throw our hats for commencement!

    Brad: I didn't realize it was kind of getting narrative until I read your comment and went back to read it. I think perhaps if it really was for a potential employer, I should have sounded more formal. Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete