Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Finale.....

At the end of every past few semesters, I used to feel elated and excited thinking about how I will be enjoying my holidays. However, for this semester which will be my last in NUS, all I feel is a sense of nostalgia and how I am going to miss being a student and its privileges. During this last semester, I particularly feel that I have learned and gained a lot from my non-core modules and I believe most of it came from ES2007S: Professional Communication.

It seemed so long ago when I first wrote a blog post for this module. In my first blog post, I mentioned that communication skills will be important in aiding me when I step into the working world. How true this is and therefore, I am so glad that this course has provided me with many opportunities to not only improve on my communication skills but also develop even more valuable communication skills. I think I have indeed accomplished that. There were also many hands-on tutorials and assignments where I had the valuable experience of going through a job interview, learning how to write an application letter and resume and improving on it through feedback from my peers. The constant blog posts that had to be done also ensured that I have the chance to practice encompassing the 7Cs in my writing.

I will always carry with me the valuable and enriching memories that I gained through my group project. I had the chance to write business correspondences and complete a research study that was started from scratch. It was definitely time-consuming and many hours were spent on it but looking back now, it was all worth it. I had so much fun doing this project with Hui Xia and Grace that I am sure our friendships will last even after we graduate from this class. From Hui Xia, I definitely learned to be more aware of my grammar and how to ‘print screen’! Haha I think Hui Xia knows what I mean. I also learned from Grace how to increase eye contact with the audience and how to add pauses in my speech to make a presentation more effective

I believe one important factor that determines how much you enjoy a module is the teacher. This is why I am really thankful to have been able to join Brad’s class as I was actually from another tutorial class. He has shared so many of his enriching experiences with us in class and always makes an effort to link them back to the topic of discussion. This really made lessons more dynamic and fun and sometimes the descriptions are so vivid that I can even visualize it. No doubt, I can always read about communication skills from the course book but what I will learn can only be that much. I think his unconventional way of teaching is really what helped me improve my communication skills in such a short time frame.

Also, Brad actually makes it a point to ask each of us for our opinions and this makes everyone involved in discussions. This has really helped build up my confidence as he is always very supportive of my comments even if I’m not sure whether it sounds silly.

In addition, another important reason as to why I enjoyed this course so much is the class. Everyone is so different and they have their own individual experiences and thoughts which are very valuable. By sharing what they have through blogging and class discussions, I am in fact learning from each of them. For example, I learned more about how different or similar the culture is in China and Sri Lanka as compared to Singapore.

It will soon be time to say goodbye to everybody and thus I would like to thank Brad, Hui Xia, Grace, Roy, Priya, Nadiah, Pooi San, Jing Yang, Jaenette, Vicky, Sze Hui, Jane, Michelle , Qi ying and Keldren for making ES2007S such an enjoyable experience. :)

20 comments:

  1. Hello Shu Juan,

    Don't be sad, we can still remain contact with each other and meet up whenever we are free. It was enjoyable having you as a classmate and a friend in learning.

    Finally, hope what you learned can be useful to you once you graduate, and I wish you all the best!

    Cheers,
    Keldren

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unconventional, eh? Well, Shu Juan, I guess I am unconventional, and since I have heard that before, maybe I should just admit it. What's weird for me though is that, since I basically only attend my classes, they seem to be the norm, and thus, conventional. Maybe in the last tutorial session we can discuss what a conventional class at NUS is.

    Back to your post: This is another fine one by you, enjoyable to read. I'm glad the course satisfied your expectations and that the activities gave you the practice that you think will be helpful as you go on to the next stage of your life. If even a bit of what we covered can be useful to you, I will be satisfied. (In short, I hope that what you've gained helps you pass the "elevator test" of life.)

    As for your part, Shu Juan, I'm so happy that you could indeed join our section. Communication in Group 3 would have been very different without you!

    All the best in your future. Let me know what path you end up on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo Juan!

    Why you make the post until so sad? The last paragraph seemed like "goodbye forever". I agree with Keldren, we can still remain contact! And we shall! Because you and Hui Xia owe me tennis lesson! Haha!

    Through working with you, I have learnt how it is like to get an A. Not kidding here. I am serious. It never occur to me to get really good grades, we have to work on small details, and to review again and again to spot for flaws. I admire your perfectionist character. I know your character and personality will definitely bring you far and high up in life!

    Thank you for being my project group mate and more importantly, for accepting me as a friend! All the best for your future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Shu Juan!

    You and Grace really make me sound like a grammer freak! The funny part about this is that I hardly see that grammer perfection in my own writings.

    I am really happy that we managed to become a team because I feel that we really complement each other very well. After rehearsing several times for the presentation, I'm sure your presenatation skills will improve vastly.

    Reviewing our report at Starbucks the other time, I think our excel and microsoft skills have reached an advanced level. Don't you think so? hahas. We must take our graduation photo together if our commencement is on the same day! All the best to you in your future endeavours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shujuan!

    I agree with you in the sense that I loved how Brad always asked for all our opinions. This made the learning much more interactive and showed that all our opinions matter and count.

    I'm glad that I had this chance to get to know you. Honestly, you are someone so confident and full of aspirations. Reading your last few posts, I further believe that your attitude towards learning and your passion for living life, will definitely spur you on in the future!

    All the best for the future yups!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Shu Juan,

    I will definitely miss the ES2007s lessons too! I am sure all of us had gained valuable skills and knowledge from ES2007s.

    Reading Grace’s comments, how I wish I had the opportunity to work with you too! Working on small details and to repeatedly check for errors must be the nature of an Applied Mathematics Major huh? But I do not think I have this skill! I am quite a careless person. It is a pity that I did not have chance to work with you at all this semester. I recall seeing you in school many a times but we did not acknowledge each other, but it was only after we knew each other in ES2007s then we started to exchange conversations and greetings in school. That is just how amazing life is ya? I really hope to keep in contact with you. In future if your team or our class has any outings, do contact me and keep me updated ok?

    All the best in your future endeavors! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Shu Juan,

    I think you wrote your reflection really well. All good things come to an end. But as one door closes, one more opens. Graduation is around the corner for you and work is just.. there. I know that NUS would have prepared you well for that and all the best in going out there to do your thing.

    Your research team, a refreshing mix of squealing graduating students, are very noisy inside and outside of class. Hahaha. Enjoy life, Shu Juan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Shu Juan!

    Still remember you called me up asking me how this class was on the first day of the sem? lol..I'm glad that you chose to join us =)

    I really enjoy reading this reflection post of yours. It sounds really straight from the heart! I am graduating this semester too and I totally agree with you. Somehow I just hope this semester doesn't end so soon..

    Anyway, it has been a pleasure meeting you and I am sure that with your poise, character and energy, you'll go far! All the best in your endeavor!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eh this is to reply to Roy! Haha! We are not noisy okay? We are just having lotsa fun while learning and not learning! Haha!!! You are welcome to join our squealing group! LOLZ!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey!

    I totally understand you! I feel the same for the first time. In fact, I was already thinking about bringing some damage to NUS furniture by engraving my name on one of the tables. haha
    One of the things I learnt from you is to how to face an interview confidently! I was trying to play the "bad cop" and bombard you with tough questions but you were so good and managed your way through :)
    Keep that high spirit and energy of yours. Keep giggling and all the best for a fab future! Stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Keldren !

    yea we can all still meet up even after this semester. This is one wacky class!

    Thanks for your well wishes and good luck in the upcoming examinations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Brad!

    I didn't think about it but I guess in your perspective this is conventional! I am thinking maybe the conventional way of teaching I am often exposed is most common within Asian schools.

    I can't guarantee that I will definitely pass the elevator test but what I am sure is I definitely have more confidence should I be faced with it and I now have the knowledge in how to handle such situations! :)

    Thank you once again Brad!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Grace!

    No! Its not sad! Its nostalgic! Haha

    I am really so glad to work with you! All of us really played an important part and I think we were really one great team! :) One thing I want to say was that although you and Hui Xia were already very good friends, you two made me feel very welcome and it was very easy getting along with you all!

    So thank you once again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Hui Xia!

    Haha not grammer freak, but grammer expert!

    Yes that day at Starbucks was the ultimate. I think we were really pushed to the limit! Haha okay! Lets take a graduation photo together and throw our hats high in the air!

    Good luck in the coming examinations and in your job search!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jane!

    it was great knowing you too! the sad thing is I won't be able to see you around school anymore as I am graduating! Okay now i am emo-ing! Haha

    Good luck for your exams! If I am not wrong, you mentioned in class you will end around twenty something of april?? Grrrr thats fast!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Michelle!

    we did work together awhile remember? the mock job interview?? Haha where you spotted the ultimate evil question for Pooi San!

    I can't remember seeing you around in school before ES2007S! Were you spying on me long ago? Haha Just kidding! On a serious note, it was great befriending you and I think you are one person whom I can talk easily to! Isn't it amazing how one module can bring a class of 15 and a teacher together?

    Yes we can go on outing together! Good luck for your final examinations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Roy!

    What squealing students! Haha there was a reason to our loud screams that day at the canteen. Any way it just shows we are still young and lively and vibrant!

    By the way, I think it's always cool to read what you write as you always have a inspiring sentence to add in, which in this case is 'But as one door closes, one more opens.' Great writing skills you possess!

    Thanks for your well wishes and enjoy life too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Jaenatte!

    I definitely remember my first ever conversation with you! It really reassured me that this class would turn out to be fun!

    It is very sad how we are going to be stepping into the tough world out there! Here's wishing to both of us in finding a job that we take joy and satisfaction in working.

    Thanks once again for that first phone call and with your pleasant, friendly and warm character, I am sure things will always work out for you! :

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Priya!

    no wonder why I see so many NUS furniture with your name! Haha

    Thanks for being the bad cop and you acted really well! You kept a straight face throughout. Seriously had I not known it was just an act, I would have been freaked out!

    Always nice meeting you in Coop where we are rushing to print notes! It has been a great time knowing you and keep up the cheerful attitude that you have! :)

    ReplyDelete