Wednesday, April 8, 2009

My Oral Presentation

My Oral Presentation

I felt that I knew my content thoroughly and thus could convey my points smoothly without having to read from the slides. I think my sentences were generally well formed with appropriate vocabulary and grammar. I had correct pronunciation and projected my voice well so that I could be clearly heard. Thus, overall, I think my points were conveyed effectively.

Eye contact is a very important component in a presentation. Therefore, I tried to maintain eye contact with my audience during my presentation. I made an effort not to focus only on one person but to make eye contact with as many as possible. My confidence was built up when someone I am looking at nods his/her head or give an encouraging smile.

One area I have to improve in is my speed of talking. In my daily conversations with people, I do talk at a very fast pace. It is not that I make an effort to talk very fast but it just comes naturally. This may be acceptable when I am talking normally but during presentations, it is not very good. On the actual presentation itself, I made an effort to talk slower. Getting feedback from people whom have heard me during practices, they commented that I did slow down from my usual pace. However, from others, they commented that it was a bit fast. Therefore, I still have to improve and train myself to talk slower.

It was quite an intimidating experience to be the first group to present and I personally feel that it is harder to present to people whom I know than strangers. Thus, I was really nervous during my presentation and my facial expression was rather serious. My presentation would be better if I smiled more or showed more relaxed expressions.

I will definitely try to improve on my weaknesses so that I can give a better presentation in future. This was really an enriching experience for me where I learned a lot from Brad, my group mates and my classmates. Thank you everyone! :)

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Generally speaking, I think your group did a very good job with this interesting topic, Shu Juan. Thank you for the hard work!

    I'll send more detailed comments later to your Facebook.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shu Juan,

    Overall, our qroup feels that your group did a good job for the presentation. It was organised and clear. It was clear that you all knew your content well. In addition, the slides are great.

    Here are some points we hope can help you improve on your group presentation:
    1)During Q&A, we felt that there was a lack of team communication. This made us feel that there were 2 teams answering the question instead of 1.

    2)To have more eye contact with the audience so that they would feel more involved.

    3)The speed of the presentation could be slower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shujuan!!

    I think you have done qutie a detailed and accurate analysis of your oral presentation.

    Firstly, it is clear that you have done sufficient preparation for this oral presentation. You have presented your ideas confidently and fluently. The presentation was also organised and structured and it was easy for the audience to understand. There was also eye contact with us which is good:)

    As mentioned in your blog post, your speed of presentation is pretty fast. Its good thar you have put in effort to slow down your speech. However, it would be even better if the speed was slower. By speaking slower, it allows the audience some time to absorb what you are saying. In addition, you could try to smile more so that you would not look so fierce.

    Overall, I think you guys have done a great job. It was a good presentation which is clear and concise. keep up your good work!!

    cheers:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shujuan,

    I felt that you did a great job!

    I was really blown away by your fantastic delivery! Except for the fast moving pace, I was thoroughly amazed at how you managed to recap those 7 (was it) points? I really liked how you were so confident. Your speech was audible and clear and this made your entire delivery almost flawless, such that your small subtle mistakes were hardly noticeable.

    There were times, in your speech, where you did not smile as much. It could have been due to your nerves getting the better, or because you were focusing on remembering your points. It would be great that you smile a little more, to ease the tension on yourself!

    Nonetheless, I think you were really well prepared when it came to Q&A, and I think that these attributes which you already have will definitely take you far in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi everybody! A really big and sincere thank you for all your constructive feedback!

    Brad: I have received your feedback on facebook! Thanks for taking time to analyze our presentation and provide useful feedback so that we can improve on it!

    Qi Ying: thanks for your comments that encompassed the strengths and weaknesses of my group and of me individually! I didn't realize we may not have sounded as one team! This I definitely have to take note when I do group presentation in future. Yes! I will definitely improve in my pace of talking and my facial expressions!

    Jane: I think perhaps it was the mixture of nervousness and trying to remember my points that brought about a more solemn expression! I will improve on it! Thanks for your feedback! You did great in your oral presentation too!

    ReplyDelete